09 March 2006

My First Job Interview in German

So, yes, I'm sure you're all waiting to hear about my professional activities. I did indeed go to the Arbeitsmarkt, the Austrian work-authority or however the hell you would say that in English, and asked them about getting a residency permit for the summer. The man was somewhat unfriendly, and said that I would have to find a firm willing to take me and submit an application for a work permit. As a foreigner, I don't have priority for a job. If they can find an unemployed Austrian to do the same work, they are required to hire the Austrian. However, people with certain qualifications (English as a native language!!) can be granted exceptions. He told me it was all very complicated and was generally discouraging. My reply: "But theoretically possible, no?"

So, I called the Esterházy palace, explained my situation, and asked if they needed tour guides. The woman said they are in the hiring process for the next two weeks and she would love it if I could come by. I thought I would just be dropping off my CV (Curriculum Vitae- the Euro-version of a résumé) and she would contact me if she liked. So, I asked if 10am on Thursday would be OK. She said no, there's a tour at that time, the afternoon would be better. This gave me the impression that she wanted to give me an interview on the spot and I was right. I updated and customized my CV and wrote a letter of interest to the Esterházy palace seeking work as a tour guide. Sandra and friends helped me with that and offered great (and grammatical) advice. Then I got up early today, put on a suit and tie, and went to school. School was chaotic and I was in a generally nervous and bad mood (had a little personal crisis last night). But, I think I had the best discussion ever with one of my least-motivated classes, because I was pushy and sarcastic. I think I really have a good teacher attitude when I'm grumpy!! Anyway, right after school I walked down to the palace to meet Frau Hollndonner, and I kept my head held high. She was very friendly and said that I spoke excellent German. I told her a bit about myself and asked questions about the tours and things like that. We ended up chatting for over a half an hour, and she told me that she thought I would make a great addition to their team and she would be happy to fill out a work-permit application, but warned me that the Arbeitsmarkt might say no. I told her I felt it was worth a try, and that I was very happy she took the time to see me. She said she would be in contact with me. When I was updating my CV, I realized that I have gotten every single job I have ever applied for (In a warehouse, at a newspaper, an architectural firm, and now this teaching gig). I hope I can keep up the trend! It sounds promising. I really believe that anything is possible if I really put forth the effort. Today felt like a victory, and I'm ecstatic. I will keep you all updated on the process as it unfolds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

way to go ART ! please e-mail us since we just loaded os10.4 tiger and lost our address book
Love Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

good job arthur!!! I hope you get the job, sounds promising with your track record in all!!! Best of luck!! Jacinda