08 February 2007

Beat Generation - No Thank You

High time for a blog entry, I've finally decided.

I had an unexpected day off yesterday due to "Konferenzen". Upon hearing this, Martin invited me to go to Hungary with him while he went to the dentist, masseur, and barber. I would have been sitting at home otherwise, so I agreed, knowing I could get some cheap cigarettes, read a book, and perhaps collect yet another "H" stamp in my passport. Spent the entire afternoon in a small café reading "Naked Lunch" by WIlliam Burroughs (a coeval and friend of Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg). I found it in the small English section of my local bookstore and it sounded interesting, so I bought it. I really didn't know what I was getting myself into. That single drug-addled, nightmarish, and vile volume was a bad choice for my virginal reading of beat literature - it was enough to turn me off of the genre for at least a decade- and I'm certainly no prude. Having already exlored the border town of Masonmagyaróvár on several previous occaisions, I had nothing to do but to finish the entire thing. Ug. What I'm still wondering- who on earth in Eisenstadt would read this kind of stuff in English? Namely, WHY in the holy Maria's name does the bookstore stock it??

In other antisocial readings- I've spent much of the afternoon in my bathrobe consuming the insane/prurient/louche ramblings of complete strangers in the "best of" section of Craigslist.com. How is that the internet, puportedly an enabler of connectivity, can result in such hermetic practices in someone like as myself? Honestly, I think I'm looking forward to Lernquadrat reopening next week so I can spend more time having real human interaction, albeit a staccato "dialogue" regarding the proper usage of the present perfect.

Going to the opera in Vienna tomorrow- can't wait to comment on that.

Also- camera to PC transfer cable has been misplaced. No photos for no, unfortunately.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

aw...Art in his robe. Is it yellow with smiley faces? Are you wear gigantic purple sunglasses?

K

Anonymous said...

wow...wearing, of course...

K