10 April 2007

Hvratska - The Croatian Sensation

Today is my last day of freedom and winding down before the back-to-school grind starts, so I'm going to use the opportunity to fill you in on my latest travels. Martin and I packed up our things and hopped in the car early last tuesday morning and started heading south. In the amount of time it would have taken me to drive all the way across the state of Ohio we had crossed two borders; first entering Slovenia, where we were required to pay a highway toll only to discover that after a few kilometers the highway ceased to exist, and then into Croatia. The highway picked up again there, until we passed Zagreb. After that it was a long stretch of two-lane road through primitive little villages with many desolate shells of houses until we reached our first destination: the Plitvice Lakes (also pictured in previous post). This is a national park and nature preserve consisting of a seemingly endless series of blue-green lakes and waterfalls nestled into a rocky valley. The weather was a bit cloudy that day (and rainy the next), but I think the photos turned out OK.



Here is a cross-section map of the lakes, which gives you an idea of the geography:


In many places the boundaries between river, lake, and forest are blurred beyond recognition.







At least this lizard seemed to be enjoying the weather.



The woods were full of these flowers, which reminded me a bit of the Bluebells we have back in Appallachia. Mom, do you know what they are?

One last photo of Plitvice - (as always, click to enlarge)



That's enough blogging for me today, but soon to come are pictures of the coast and islands of Croatia, as well as the Slovenian capital, Ljubliana. Y'all come back now!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Art. These pictures are breathtaking! Thank you for sharing the natural beauty that you are encountering in your corner of the world. Your mom filled me in the other day on some of the plans you're working on in order to be able to stay in Austria. Best of luck! I hope everything works out for you. Most importantly, continue to enjoy yourself and your time there. Take care, and hugs from Athens, OH.

Anonymous said...

Great photos Art! When I saw a TV show about the "Hanging Lakes of Plitvice", I was quite intrigued. I've seen some travertine topography, but nothing like this. Usually they are isolated sets of waterfalls and mini-lakes in arid climates; often with a single water source. These seem to spread out for miles, with multiple springs. And in a temperate forest!

I'll be looking for the rest of the photos. Thanks in advance! BC

Eric Cornwell said...

WOW ART! These pictues are amazing! I think I have a new background for my 'pooter! What a cool place!

E

Anonymous said...

You could try to spell Hrvataka correctly. :)
I'm from Croatia, and I wonder why didn't You visit more of our national parks? There are even more beautiful parks than Plitvice. ;)

Anonymous said...

wow.. marvalous picturs.
they look absolutly amazing