26 May 2006

Much Needed Update

Sorry about lack of blogging lately. I've been sort of absorbed into my own little life here, and haven't really experienced anything too earth-shaking, but a few updates are in order.

It is now 10 days until I fly to New York, which is so soon that I can hardly believe it.

Good news: I have found employment at a tutoring institute starting in August. The pay is good, so I plan to return to my beloved Austrian earlier than expected. That means my 2 months in Athens will feel more like vacation than a 4 month sentence to boredom and frustration. Yay!

Funny situation did develop with my students the other day. They were reading an article out loud, and the word "beat" in the simple-past form came up. My students insisted on pronouncing the word like "bet", and I said "no.... its 'beat, beat, beaten'". They then proceeded to tell me that my English was inferior for being the American variety. Umm.... NOBODY says "bet" for "beat" in England either kids! When the teacher returned to the room, I wrote all of the forms of the verb on the board, and asked her how she would pronounce them. She said... drum roll please... "Beat, bet, beaten". ARRRG!!!
Afterwards I called Bridget, the TA from England, for reassurance. She said that I was right.
Take that kids! It's MY native language! Not yours!!! Get over it.

Get ready Athens... here I come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha ha!!!!
Have a nice holiday in the US, we'll miss you.