03 December 2005

Conversations, the Future, Sweeping Generalizations

Sorry to all for the reduced frequency of postings. My life has developed a comfortable rhythm to it, meaning that I am no longer filled with new impressions and observations to share with my beloved masses. However, a sense of belonging and comfort are certainly nothing for me to complain about. I've decided to do everything I can to stay here as long as possible. I told the Direktor of the Gymnasium of my intention to apply for a second year as a teaching assistant, and he was very encouraging and readily agreed to write a recommendation for me. After that, I'm considering going to an Austrian or German graduate school to become a full-fledged teacher or professor. I talking this over with Sandra, she noted that I must really be in love with Europe. (I'm sure of you back home can confirm this). She then noted, however, that it is difficult to make sweeping generalizations and about entire continents. I countered that some things could certainly be said, such as 'Europeans are more environmentally conscious than Americans'. She replied: "Well, the French and Italians aren't so great about it. The French throw all of their nuclear waste into the ocean". I noted that the United States has a few nuclear power plants, but the great majority of our electricity comes from coal-fired plants. She was shocked, saying "Das ist aber so... hinterweltlich" (That's so.... third-world). She also said, "Doesn't that pollute the air? There's so much CO2 in the smoke from coal!" I explained that the power plant closest to Athens was about an hour away, and the wind blows in the other direction (I think- correct me if I'm wrong). Austria, with its law against nuclear power, seems to get almost all of its electricity from Wind and Solar plants, which power a well-utilized railroad network in addition to everything else. So, there's my sweeping generalization about two continents. Say what you will, but I love it here and really don't want to come back. Sorry to disappoint everyone back home, but I am following my dreams and it feels great. Of course, I am an American and nothing will ever change that, and I do have a certain degree of pride in that. There are definitely some very good things about the US, but in my perspective they seem to be outweighed by the bad, especially in this day and age.
Speaking of American-ness, I was feeling fat and lazy and went to McDonald's again. This time I noticed a new menu item that was highly un-American: baked camembert. Vivé la France.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

..and the "unofficial rest" is illegaly imported from the neighbo(u)rs and their nuclear power plants. Result: Cheap electricity and a quiet conscience.

Anonymous said...

well i think i can speak for much of your beloved masses when i say "Saw this coming!" but don't kid with us Art, your american pride is negligable. We coal smoking Ohioans have appreciated your time here! :-0 ::cough::

Anonymous said...

Yep I'm with Andy...But why would the Europeans worry so much about air pollution, when they all smoke? Isn't the goal of clean air better health?
Daughter of 2 deceased smokers.

Art's Blog said...

Yes mother... rauchen gefährdet die gesundheit. Good point. But, probably no excuse to drive around in monstrous SUVs and spew fumes into the air by burning coal.

Anonymous said...

Austria generates 33% of its electricity from burning coal, oil or gas; generates 66% from hydroelectric sources; and generates 1% from other sources including wind. This comprises electricity generated within Austria only, not its large imports. Source: www.eurelectric.org/statistics/latest.html

On the flip side, Austria ranks in the bottom of industrialized nations for length of compulsory education, average length of education, population with college education, and class size. Source: Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development

Art's Blog said...

hey Anonymous- sign your name please.

One of the reasons for a lower rate of people with college educations may lie within the school system. Many of my students at the HTL are studying advanced subjects such as aviation engineering, production design, and other things that are wholly confusing to me. Once they finish with their "high school" education, they are quite well prepared for the job market having such an intensive technical background.

Anonymous said...

you need to work on your english in this post, :-P