28 November 2005

New Years Plan: France


It's official- I just booked a flight to Paris on the 26th of December. I decided to fly because the train is actually more expensive for some odd reason, and I found a very reasonable flight. That, and it takes only two hours instead of 17. So, I'll be flying into Charles de Gaule, and then I will take the TGV to Dijon. TGV stands for "Train à Grand Vitesse", which means "Train of Great Speed". These are world famous trains which reach a top speed of 186 miles per hour. The ride from Paris to Dijon with the TGV takes about an hour and thirty minutes according to the SNCF (French National Railways) website. The regular trains take about an hour longer. My reason for going to the mustard capital of the world is to visit my dear friend Alice during her holiday. Her name is pronounced ALL-EECE. I knew her as a student at Ohio University, but she now lives and works in London. But, her parents live in Dijon, and they said I was welcome to come stay with them for awhile over the Christmas holiday. I did meet them when Alice graduated from OU, and they were very nice people, although they don't speak English. I have been brushing up on my French with my little phrasebook, since I hear the French are rather unwilling to speak foreign languages. As long as I make it through my train trip and arrive in Dijon, everything will be fine though since Alice is quite competent in English and can play the translator. I am very happy that I will be ringing in 2006 with one of my best friends in France!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to go to France!!!!!!! Glad you are having a great time over there. I also use glass jars as rolling pins! They work when you dont have a real rolling pin!!! I want more pictures also. Have a great new year. I am so jealous : ) Miss you Jacinda

Anonymous said...

Hello just wanted to tell you about RVC, NO Christmas decorations, NO Party either!! :( All those wreaths we made and hung up in all the windows, we are not putting them up this year. Oh and another thing, Julie is in her GREEN stage in life, just when you leave she buys green stuff to do brochures and proposals!!! I thought i would tell you about it. Other than that nothing new going on here!!! Have a great time in Paris, I want all kinds of pictures, so get to taking them !!!!! Jacinda