06 November 2005

Vacation Over!!

Hello All...
I've been spending my Sunday trying not to get depressed about the gray weather and the fact that I'm really starting to feel quite homesick. Yesterday I felt melancholy all day and sat in my room doing a lot of nothing until Sandra rang and invited me to go out with her and the gang. I decided that was probably a better alternative than staring at the ceiling, so I agreed. We went to a new place called CEBU, which is a funky little cocktail bar that looks like a tiki lounge. And guess what I found there.... a real American-style gin Martini!! It was delicious. Also, its a lot more comfortable than Mendez because the music isn't so loud that you have to scream to have a conversation. In Mendez I find myself saying "WAS?????" a lot of the time. I think I have a new favorite locale. Well, that was yesterday... and today is Sunday. I was starting to feel blue again at the beginning of the day, so I decided to take a proactive approach and go for a nice long recreational bike ride. I went over to the next village, called St. Georgen, which was very quaint and pleasant with its old buildings and lots of tractors and smoke coming from the chimneys. I also swung by the swimming pool just to check out the hours, and probably would have gone back for a swim if I hadn't had so much to do in preparation for tomorrow. In theory, exercise and physical activity are great antidotes to depression. I did feel better after my ride. Back home I had to read and correct about 30 essays on the topic of "My Ideal School". Correcting essays is so strange... I now have a deeper appreciation for all of my German teachers that had to read our crap homework and try to evaluate it fairly. Some of them were very amusing, particularly the kid who proposed a "heavy-metal school". Oh my. I've just got all my lessons in order and tidied up... so hopefully I'll be able to go to sleep early enough to have some energy in the morning. Those kids are gonna have lots of fun tomorrow, gosh darn it. As for me... I'm hanging in there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lieber Art,

ich hoffe, du bist nicht allzu heimwehkrank! Gut zu lesen, dass jetzt DU schlechte Aufsaetze lesen & bewerten musst ;-)

Well, I emjoy reading about your adventure, but I'm curious about how the school and classrooms look like. Any chance for some pictures?
Rode by your House last Saturday & saw your parents. I encouraged them to visit you, hope you don't mind.

So, ich muss jetzt auch Aufsaetze korrieren...

Viele Gruesse,
Frau Steigerwald